Friday 14 December 2012

The Sad News...and the Ray of Hope

I haven't felt so sad in quite a while. I know that I haven't done a post since God knows when, but what happened last night forced me to write this post. A beautiful soul has been lost, a gem has been thrown in the waters of a deep sea; an abyss from which the gem will never shine again. I am talking about the death of the grandmother of my host sister, Debby Struve. She was one of the most amazing people I have ever met, no doubt about that. What saddens me most that I met her only for a very short period of time and even in this short period she has become one of the most inspirational people that I have ever met. This post is dedicated to a wonderful lady who according to my loving host mom Robin was: "a heck of a lady". And be it known that this statement is definitely true!


She was there the first day I stepped into the enchanting world of Chicago. We were sitting outside in the balcony eating baby carrots and humus, and she was complimenting my English speaking abilities. I was struck by how awesome it felt to be in her presence. She reminded me of my grandmother who had died a year ago. I felt like my exchange experience was complete; I had somehow got my own grandmother back. I was amazed by how intellectually deep she was, her conversations and way of speaking carried their meaning well across to anyone who was listening to. I will admit that for the first day of my exchange experience in Chicago, I already felt a sense of belonging to the Struves.

And over the span of four months that I have spent here already, I saw Debby quite a number and she time she managed to amaze me with her powerful personality and the vast treasure of knowledge she possessed. I don't know much about her background and frankly I don't care about it either...For me Debby was a person who symbolised strength, love and I have only words of admiration for her. I can definitely connect the deaths of my own grandparents to Debby's death, but in my opinion Debby's death has actually saddened me more. As I am writing this post, my eyes are full of tears and my heart is aching with the pain that the Struves are feeling at the moment. But I know that I was blessed and honoured to meet Debby in my lifetime and spend some time with her, I know that that death is an inevitable fact of life and that we must accept it as it is, I know that Debby has been immortalised in our memories and thoughts, and I also know that loss of a loved one is a hard thing for all of us.

But there is one thing that I believe should be known: If you are deeply saddened by the loss of a loved one, it not only means that you love them dearly but also that the loved one were an amazing person. And Debby was blessed with every virtue a good, kind, loving and caring human can ever possess. This post is not just about mourning the loss of a person that will stay in my memory forever, it is about celebrating her and all that she achieved in her life, all the people that she impacted and all the things that made her one heck of a woman! I have words in my vocabulary to describe how sad I feel at the moment but at the same I know that Debby will stay alive in our hearts forever. She was indeed a great woman and I feel no need to elaborate this any longer.
Rest in Peace Debby & May your soul be blessed!!!!

3 comments:

  1. R.I.P. to your sisters grand mother

    ReplyDelete
  2. and moiz sorry about your garnd mothers death in pakistan.
    i hope you had a wonderful time with your grand mother.

    ReplyDelete