Sunday 15 July 2012

Jamun - The Gift of Summer!

So Summer is here! The heat may get us drenching in sweat in the not-so-blessed hours of load shedding and we may be awfully scared to step out in the blazing sun but summer also means another thing - Fruit (and LOTS of it)!
And perhaps the best gift of the summer season in terms of fruit is Jamun! Or Java Plum Or Syzygium cumini if you prefer; Whatever name you may use there is no doubt that Jamun is one of the most adored fruit in Punjab, Pakistan.
For me the word summer always brings the memories of Jamun which we (me and my cousins) used to eat at our grandmother's house; Those were the days when we used to just sit there under the shade of the big Pipal tree and eat whole bowls of Jamun (with generous amounts of salt of course) in one go! And then we would gleefully show each other our purple-d toungues and complain about the strange feeling in our mouth caused by the Jamuns.
I also remember the huge Jamun tree which grew in my aunt's house and how all the kids used to pluck the Jamuns off of it through various ways (throwing their shoes at the branches was admittedly the most effective method) and then they used to run under the tree catching the falling jewels of deep purple.
As I am writing this post, I have a plate full of Jamuns with me and I am constantly smiling because of the fond memories this small fruit is bringing to me; Summer will come and go but there's no doubt that Jamun is one of my most favorite fruits!

No comments:

Post a Comment